your first day- You will literally be SO exhausted. It seems like a million hours have passed by the time you get to lunch. BUT -just know- IT GETS BETTER and TIME GOES BY FASTER as you progress and get used to it. There will be others who have been there longer, and know exactly what you are going through. They want to help you! Don't feel embarrassed or sad about going to someone for help.
Spend time with family. You'll regret time wasted. you'll want to remember stories and what you did pre-mish. WRITE IT DOWN. Journal things you bishop says, your stake presidents say, your loved ones say. Take pictures with family AND friends. you'll want to show everyone at some point what you were doing before a mission. " And it came to pass that he departed into the wilderness. And he left his house, and the land of his inheritance, and his gold, and his silver, and his precious things, and took nothing with him, save it were his family, and provisions, and tents and departed into the wilderness." - 1st Nephi 2:4. You can totes relate to the story of Nephi, cause you literally leave all behind because it was commanded. :)
- You can FIND cute shoes! Look at different stores! you'll want a pair of sturdy, breathable, RUBBER sole shoes.
- YW Medallion. I never got my YW-hood recognition... or personal progress done. BUT I love seeing girls who wear them! They just are the sweetest and being a virtuous YW is supes cool
- SCRIPTURE CASE - Not needed, but it would be nice to have if you don't want your scriptures tearing apart :(
- There is a temple store here! They have scripture cases, scripture bags, church things, cool-- awesome -- Peruvian ties.
- PB. It sounds weird. but PB tastes different here and is 'spensive here. You'll be the life of the party.
- A Watch! Don't forget a watch! You'll look at the time so often you almost forget you have a wrist under there! You'll also get the cool "I'm a missionary" watch tan line. Be Jealous.
- Music! I mean sheet music. If you play the piano, bring your favorite rendition of hymns (piano solo). OR if you sing, bring special musical numbers that can't be found in the Spanish Hymnbook. Special music definitely brings the spirit into the meetings.
- Snacks! My comp. brought a lot, and they're the only things that keep me going!
- Listen to your mom! Seriously! I thought she was being crazy when she told me to bring hangers, extra shirts, extra everythings... but she's not.
- HANGERS. No hay hangers aqui. You can buy some at the store on P-day, but half of your skirts will be wrinkled.
- PMG Holder... I brought it, and its pretty nice, not having a broken PMG.
- Referring to the previous, a PME & PMG (Predicad Mi Evangelio [Preach My Gospel]) in mini size. You use them often!
- GLUE- If you're anything like me, you'll want to keep quotes and trinkets (of sorts) in your journal/scriptures. Stick glue would be super helpful in such situations.
- IF you already have scriptures in spanish, bring them. They don't give you scriptures in the language (like everyone tells you), but if you don't- don't fret! You can buy them at the distribution center here.
- KNOW the first vision and missionary objective in your native language. It'll help you so much! Just trust me.
- LOVE YOUR COMPANION. Yes, it is hard sometimes. Yes, she/he will be glued to your hip 24/7. Yes, you probably have never met them or heard of them. Yes, you may be totally different. BUT you are with them for a reason. The people who choose you to be companions are inspired. ITS NOT RANDOM.
- PRAY for others. "Praying for others with all the energy of our souls increases our capacity to hear and to heed the voice of the Lord." (Elder Bednar, General Conference October 2008)
- School Supplies! You write so much, highlight, mark and take so many notes. IE... Notebooks, journals, pens, pencils, study notes... etc.
- PILLOW! The ones here are lumpy. Also- blanket. It'll remind you of home... but in a good way :)
- Go to the spanish ward for a few times. I went to the spanish ward for 4 years, and you don't realize the blessings of it until you get here! Go Visit a Spanish ward! :)
- Read your BOM. Know your scripture mastery. They will be so helpful when you feel you should talk about something specific. OR when your investigator has a problem.
- DON'T WORRY! You don't need to know everything. If you put all your effort into it, god will help you figure out the rest.
- Pens, pens, pens. You will write so much! you'll probably also lose some as well. If you're anything like me, you'll lose 3 of 4 pens and the only pen you have will run out of ink :O
- Itch Cream. I may be the only one getting eaten alive here.... But just as a precaution ... Bring it. So helpful.
- Workout Plans + Workout Clothes.
- Cotton Balls. Prevent toe Probs.
- Copy of your Patriarchal Blessing x 2. You read it all the time.